The Museum Home – The Ontario Power Company BuildingSince early 2013 CCMA's location the historic Ontario Power Company Building at 217 South Lemon Ave in downtown Ontario. The building has a rich history of which we are proud to be a part.
The Beginning.The Ontario Electric Company was organized on February 16, 1895 by Mrs. Elizabeth Jenkins, Godfrey Stamm and his two sons George and F.B., Charles Frankish, and C.W. Foote. The first power building was constructed on Mountain Ave that same year.
The Purpose.The Company operated an electric railway and an electric light plant, which sold arc and incandescent lights.
The Building.The Company’s new building was constructed in 1907 at 217 S. Lemon Ave. This location served as the Company’s main offices until Southern California Edison Co. assumed operations during the 1920s.
The Partnership.The Company shared the site with the San Antonio Water Company which had also begun developing hydroelectric power at the same time. Together they produced far more electricity than they could sell.
The Electrician.Earl H. Richardson was tasked with finding ways to create a new demand for electricity. In 1903 he responded with the invention of the Hotpoint iron. He established the Pacific Electric Heating Co. which later became General Electric in 1918.
The Police Station.In 1954, after Southern California Edison moved, the Ontario Police Department moved its headquarters to the building. Later that same year, the city built a new jail to handle “overflow” from the main jail.
The Orchestra.From 1967 until 1978, the West End Symphony Orchestra occupied the building. They hosted several membership dinners and concerts there.
The Museum.Since the 1980s the building has been used by the City’s Housing Agency , Engineering Dept., the Museum of History and Art, the Model Colony History Room, and the Fire Department. Today this local landmark is home to the Chaffey Community Museum of Art.
In recognition of the rehabilitation work done to transform office space into four museum galleries, a museum store and administrative areas, in May 2014, CCMA was presented with a Model Colony Award by the City of Ontario Planning Department.
Events at the Museum
Sheets, Sheets & Caughman
Art for Living and Living for Art
February 2, 2017 - March 26, 2017
A major joint exhibition in conjunction with the Ontario Museum of History & Art, exploring the artistic duality of three artists: Millard Sheets, Tony Sheets and Luis "Rick" Caughman
At Chaffey Community Museum of Art:
At Ontario Museum of History & Art:
Sunday, April 2, 2017 - 2 pm to 4 pm
Size Does Matter - National Collage Society
A Life's Passion in Watercolor - Tom Fong
Dancing on Water- Judi Christensen
Young Artist Alexandrea Carrillo
Palettes and Plates
the Annual CCMA Awards
CCMA 2017 Artist of the Year
Sunday, April 23, 2017 -- 6 pm
Exhibition of Tom Fong's Art
All taking place at the Museum
Open Studio at CCMA
Fridays from 11 am – 3 pm
Where artists meet to create and share their artwork in an unstructured environment.
Open Studio at CCMA is a place for artists to come together and create art in the presence of other artists. It is intended to foster creativity, exchange, conversation, encouragement and freedom of artistic expression. All artists are welcome and invited to participate.Free for CCMA members
Open Studio at CCMA is held every Friday from 11 am to 3 pm. Artists should bring all their own supplies + a sack lunch, drinks and snacks as desired. CCMA will provide a coffee maker, refrigerator and small microwave for the use of participants.
$20 for guests
CCMA in the News
Inland Valley historian Joe Blackstock visits CCMA to view the nine paintings of the Barbara Line Memorial Collection. Click here to view article.
IEShineOn, an online source for events and activities in the Inland Empire, featured CCMA. To view the article, click here
Inland Valley Daily Bulletin columnist Suzanne Sproul reports on the Sheets, Sheets & Caughman exhibit Art for Living and Living for Art. To view the article, click here. Read about CCMA's 75th anniversary in 2016 by clicking here.
David Allen Click here
Inland Valley Daily Bulletin columnist David Allen visits CCMA's outdoor sculpture at the front of the museum. The sculpture was created by Fullmer Construction superintendent Gary Rue entirely from materials leftover from construction the parking lot next door. Click here
to see a photo and read David's blog.
to read about CCMA
in Trevor Summon's column
Foothills Reader Ontario, CA 91761-1623
Thursday through Sunday
noon — 4:00 pm Closed Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day
Rent the Museum for your event
The Museum is available year-round as a venue for compatible events of small to medium-sized groups. For more information, including rental rates, available days and times, and floor plan, click here.
Next community event at CCMA:
April 7, 2016
Ontario YMCA Good Faith Breakfast